Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Naldo is a PROUD American!!!


Naldo and Sabrina before taking the kids to Julliana


Before we left again..Sarah wanted to take pictures!!


The Jeep Patriot I rented and almost wrecked...UTAH DRIVERS...


Look at the SMILE...he's a Proud American!!

Sarah (taking a pic of herself) at Tucanos...yummy!

Today was kind of bitter sweet for my husband, Naldo. He received his citizenship to the United States of America after being here for 5 years! We applied for it in March and he received it today. He says he doesn't quite feel "American" yet as his blood still runs green, blue, yellow and white. I'm sure after it all sinks in that he received it, he will feel differently! It was a great ceremony and not quite what I was expecting. The day started off normal of course. We were on our way to take the kids to Luke's house for his wife to watch them for us. On the way, I was at a left hand turn signal with 2 lanes turning left. I was in the inside lane. In my rented 2008 Jeep Patriot, I start to roll forward a little to check to make sure that traffic had stopped at the red light and all of a sudden I hear squealing tires and a silver PT Cruiser heading straight at me. I punched the gas and turned the patriot hard to not hit the other car that was also making a left hand turn. We BARELY missed each other and the car ended up stopping in the lanes of traffic where I was coming from. (in the lane that goes straight across or turns right.) Needless to say, we were blessed once again as this crazy older woman ran the red light going at least the posted speed limit of 40 mph. So, I make the turn, get composed and my whole body is tingling and completely stiff. I make it just fine to Julliana's house to drop off the girls and take a breather. Then it was off it SLC to the Capital Theater for the oath ceremony. His letter said to be there at 12:30 pm. We arrived at 11:45 and had plenty of time to grab some food quickly and still make it back. It took until 2:00 to get every seated and get the ceremony started. Once we seperated on the street (they made him go to a different line), I never saw Naldo again until the ceremony was over and everyone was forced outside. I was sitting in the balcony and couldn't see Naldo at all. He even got out of his seat and came looking for me, but couldn't find me. He swears I left and snuck back after it was all over with, but I was there. The ceremony went as follows: All canidates were sworn in by the State of Utah Court, flag bearers posted the colors, a lady welcomed everyone, everyone sang the National Anthem and said the Pledge of Alligence, a little choir of children sang 2 songs, a talk was given by a lady with revolutionary war heritage, the canidates took the oath, and people were invited to share their story if they wanted to. A microphone was passed around and people could say what ever they wanted. After, the ceremony concluded, we took a few pictures and were back on the freeway to go pick up our kids and head for Tucanos for some good Brasilian food! After we dropped Naldo off at work for a long night!! It was fun celebrating this special day together and it is one we'll both remember for the rest of our lives, I'm sure!

1 comment:

Jensen Family said...

Congratulations!
Isn't Tucanoes the most yummy restaurant! I love it.